9.15.2010

Review: Avalon Organics Awapuhi Mango Moisturizing Shampoo





Last weekend I switched up my shampoo and purchased Avalon Organics brand Awapuhi Mango Moisturizing Shampoo from Ricki's in NYC, one of my favorite beauty supply haunts.

*Sidebar* My hair is naturally curly so I only shampoo, with a sulfate-free product, twice each month. Other than that I co-wash or wash with a conditioner only, every 3 days. If you are natural or follow other blogs or sites dedicated to women of color with naturally curly hair you are probably familiar with these terms and processes.

The shampoo I used previously, the name escapes me-I'll explain shortly, was making my hair very dry, and tangled despite numerous changes in conditioners. I was drawn to this product  because it claims to be a "moisturizing" shampoo. I didn't know there was such a thing.


Benefits
According to the website awapuhi, a type of ginger plant, softens and shines and mango promotes moisture and cell rejuvenation. It maximizes softness, and manageability

Other Key Ingredients:
Aloe, Ylang Ylang, and essential Orange oils

Price: $9.99 at Ricki's NYC | $8.95 on the brand's website

Size: 14 FL oz

Fragrance: Sweet, fruity, tropical scent

Other Features: 100% vegetarian, paraben-free, synthetic fragrance-free, Sulfate-free, PH balanced


My Experience:
I shampooed one side of my head with the Avalon brand and the other side with my old shampoo and noticed immediately that the Avalon Organics made my hair feel softer. Shampoo tends to be very harsh on my hair making it very dry and tangled but this product almost felt like a conditioner in that my hair still felt soft as I rinsed. I usually de-tangle my hair before washing so once I added conditioner-Jason's Aloe Vera Conditioner,and rinsed with a final cool rinse,  it was relatively easy to comb-through and style.

As a product junkie I've used a LOT of shampoos but never had these type of results, I was so happy with the results that I immediately discarded my old brand of shampoo, which is why I can't recall the brand, I will definitely be keeping this shampoo as part of my monthly routine. I plan to try some of the other shampoos offered by Avalon like Peppermint or Olive & Grape Seed. I'd also like to see how the conditioner performs since my experience with the shampoo was so positive. I'll keep you posted!

For more information log on: www.avalonorganics.com

No comments: