11.06.2011

A Look at Global Decor Inspired by "Frida Kahlo"

This weekend in between school projects, making adjustments to the blog (you like?), and other hundred things I save for my two days off (I can't even begin to tell you how much I need ALL weekends to be three days long), I was summoned to the world of renowned artist Frida Kahlo.  I say summoned because it seems like lately the universe has just been guiding my steps in a path that is speaking to many of my current goal and most pressing issues.

via fridakahlo.com



As you may know, I'm starting a business. I want to create an outlet that is a reflection of who I am and my talents. One of the first things I had to do was figure out exactly who I am. You may be thinking, "Damn. You haven't figured that out yet?" My reply would be, "No." I had an idea a few years ago, but I really believe that the "who" of what we are is always changing because WE are always changing. I don't think we are born one thing and go through life as that one thing and then die. I could be totally wrong, but I think that we are all in a constant state of evolution, or should be, and due to my evolutionary state I am always discovering or re-discovering myself. I learn something new about what I like and dislike all the time. So, for those of you who are in the same boat. Don't feel bad. You are not alone, but I digress.

So basically, I've been making lists. You name it, I have a list for it: my characteristics, goals for my life, goals for the business, ideas for the business, names for the business, etc. It's nearly all consuming. What has surprised me about the whole process is how easily things are coming together (shout out to all the people who know that there is power in putting pen to paper). Which brings me back to my original point about the "guided steps." Oddly enough, I've been drawn to books and people who relate to my lists or to the questions and issues I've had about what I am planning to do. For example, I was talking to a friend about my interior design aesthetic and what I hope to bring to clients. I was discussing that I had not been able to find designers who's style seemed as whimsical, industrial, modern, and vintage-y as mine (I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here so, I wanted a mentor of sorts). Next thing you know, I'm doing research and find a blogger discussing the work of Muriel Brandolini, who's a self-made interior design goddess! I go crazy researching her and on a random trip to the used book store that same day, what book do I find? A book about Muriel Brandolini, of course! So that's what I mean when I say that I feel like I'm being led in the direction of my wildest dreams.

Back to Ms. Frida...Friday night I decided to finally watch the 2002 movie adaptation on her life, "Frida Kahlo," featuring Selma Hayek, who is underrated in my humble opinion. Let me just say that Frida Kahlo was an incredible talent. Artistically, she is considered one of the greatest female artist ever, physically she was beautiful (unibrow and all). She was resilient. A true rebel who refused to be defined or subdued by the standards of beauty and femininity of her time.

via fridakahlo.com

Frida Kahlo had a style all her own. She favored traditional and indigenous clothing and her braided, highly adorned, black hair became her trademark. Favoring large statement piece jewelry and a collector of cultural art and artifacts in her home, Kahlo embraced her Mexican culture expressed her love for her country through dress as well as lifestyle.  Despite her physical limitations she is remembered for her strong, jovial spirit and paradoxical lifestyle; crude and obscene at times but always elegant, striking and self-assured. Striking, and alluring Frida Kaho boldly embraced her individuality and transcended her circumstances. She continues to inspire people around the world through her work, and her life.

GO BOLD, GO GLOBAL
Graphic patterns, bold colors and shapes, culturally reflective objects...just a few ways you can embrace and integrate a little global, bohemian-chic into your style. What do you think? Share some of the ways you've embraced traditional cultures or global style in your life. Enjoy!
-Nik






No comments: